What Does the Name Cory Means to You?

I was a sophomore in a university in Manila when the snap elections was called by the then late President Ferdinand E. Marcos. During that time, the atmosphere in the university belt was chaotic, street protests were a common sight, suspension of classes and student activism was very much in the air.

When Cory Aquino finally forged an alliance with UNIDO party candidate, Sen. Salvador "Doy" Laurel, to run against President Marcos and Sen. Arturo Tolentino, I thought of registering as a new voter, but was having second thoughts because I see no reason to be compelled to exercise my right. The economic and political structure in that year alone had gone from bad to worst, and as a student, I felt that there was no bright future that awaits my generation. In the end, I decided to boycott, simply because of my belief that elections is a meaningless exercise under a dictatorial regime. And as expected, the Marcos-Tolentino tandem prevailed with a wide margin, but not for long.

Then came the People Power Revolution, that event had shifted my pessimism to cautious optimism. Many of my classmates and everyone were euphoric at the peaceful transition of power. And some were even painting a rosy future come our graduation, others see no reason to work overseas...and the rest is history.

For me, Cory was an icon of hope and an inspiration during that dark phase in the Philippine history. A non-visionary leader that possibly led to a series of attempted military takeovers during her incumbency, missed an opportunity to ask a sympathetic US Congress for debt condonation on a portion of our external debt and the mothballing of the Bataan Nuclear Power Plant (BNPP) citing that it sits on a major earthquake fault line and the contract was defective.

Rest in peace Tita Cory.

Please share with us your thoughts on her passing by entering a comment in the Comment box below.

RELATED LINKS: